What is the role of the Speaker to and in Parliament
The Speaker is the political head of the institution of Parliament unlike in an institutional setting.
- The Speaker receives dignitaries and high profile visitors to Parliament.
- Conducts inter parliamentary relations
- Issues external high- level communication on behalf of Parliament
- Links Parliament with the Executive
- Oversees the functioning of the Parliamentary Service through the Clerk to Parliament
- Chairs all the sittings of Parliament and ensures that the Rules of Procedure are observed.
- As head of the institution, the Speaker represents Parliament in its corporate relations
More is yet to come. Thank you